NYHIST-L Archives

February 2005

Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:58:51 EST
Hello All.  After further research and asking some "old  folks," I do believe
the "G" means Gramercy Park, because several older NYer's  have told me that
it was still a term when they were young.     "Up in G."      I was told by a
92 year old woman that  "not only was the rich and famous up in G, but they
had fancy fences around the  gardens and Parks to keep the poor folks out."
Originally  meaning Gramercy Park and referring to the "hoytie toytie's" who
became more  sophisticated and moved uptown to "Gramercy Park,"  it became a
phrase for  anyone who moved "up and out of the neighborhood"  and sometimes
meaning  "they think they're too good for us."   I am currently researching and
writing a book about Old Manhattan and I truly appreciate this type of
discussion, very colorful and thought provoking.  I would appreciate any  one else who
would mention old "sayings" "Colloquialism's" and "slang words"  used
exclusively in NEW YORK.  Thanks.