NYHIST-L Archives

February 2005

From:
Leslie Corn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Leslie Corn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:18:47 -0500
Christopher,

Primary Source Media had a marvelous collection of city directories on line. It was possible to search across time periods and localities in one search. I'm very familiar with the product, as I wrote one of the two introductory essays.

The scans are now in the hands of Ancestry. The company has been adding those directories, bit-by-bit, to their website. Their search engine pales compared to PSM's. Ancestry doesn't have all the search fields or the content, such as ads and maps.

As I recall, Google has a cache of the homepage still available.

A sad loss it is.

Best regards,

Leslie Corn, M.A., F.G.B.S.
Professional Genealogist
Genealogical Research, Due Diligence, & Missing Heirs
New York, NY
The New York Times, 1851-1998: Remote Access to the ProQuest Database for NYG&B Members.  Part 1: Getting Started
        http://tinyurl.com/4dvvd
Part Two: Advanced Research Techniques, Saving and Printing Articles, Problem Solving
        http://tinyurl.com/5dq6a
World War II Fourth Registration Draft Cards: A Newly-Released 20th-Century Resource for 19th-Century Research
        http://tinyurl.com/6ehh6