NYHIST-L Archives

February 2005

From:
Michael Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2005 12:31:36 -0500
This is from my Jazz mail list:

"The tune was first recorded in 1941, but had been written some time
before.
Perhaps 1938 is the date of composition?  Strayhorn didn't think much
of it
and it was unlikely to see the light of day until Mercer Ellington
found it
and championed it."

The IND and BMT used letters from 1932. The 'G' originally was 'GG"
like all other locals.
When I briefly lived in Queens and attend Pratt University it was still
named the 'GG.'
I do not remember when the locals lost their double letters.

The 'GG' as far as I can research online was always a Brooklyn-Queens
line.