NYHIST-L Archives

February 2005

From:
Greg Ketcham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Ketcham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 15:53:49 -0500
Colleagues:
I had an inquiry that I hope someone can help with:

"I'm trying to obtain a 1750's-60's drawing of a "Post for 150 men on
the Northeast end of Oneyda Lake . I don't know who did it but it is
similar to drawings in Mary Anne Rocque's 1765 book of French and
Indian War forts. However, it does not appear in that publication. I
know that the drawing exists. Gil Hagerty sent me a copy in 1975. It's
not a good copy but the configuration of outer defensive works matches
the written description for a 1756 fort on the NC frontier.
Consequently, it has considerable interpretive value in conjunction
with the archaeology."

Any thoughts on this?

Greg Ketcham