NYHIST-L Archives

February 2001

Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:06:10 -0500
A bit lengthy but worth reading

From Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter

Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter -
http://www.rootscomputing.com
Vol 6 No 6 February 5, 2001

$1 Million Gift To The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

The Federated Department Stores Foundation announced a $1
million gift to the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center.
The contribution will be used to support the center's capital
campaign and includes sponsorship of its Web site -
http://www.undergroundrailroad.org -- which also debuted a few
days ago.

The following is an excerpt from the announcement:

     The Freedom Center -- the national research and exhibition
center on the subject of the Underground Railroad -- will open
in Cincinnati, Ohio in 2004.

     The co-chairs of the Freedom Center's $105 million capital
campaign are John Pepper, chairman of Cincinnati-based Procter
& Gamble, and Andrew Young, former Ambassador to the United
Nations. In announcing the Federated Foundation grant Pepper
noted, "Federated and its 130,000 employees nationwide have
long played a significant role in ensuring the educational vitality of
their communities. The gift continues that tremendous legacy by
helping us tell America's freedom story -- the Underground Railroad --
and how that story impacts our lives today."

     "Education is a cornerstone of Federated's corporate philanthropy
programming, as well as our commitment to the community,"
commented Jim Zimmerman, Federated chairman and CEO. "Both
our Foundation's funds and our employees' time are widely given
in support of America's youth, and we see our leadership gift to the
National Underground Railroad Freedom Center as an extension
of that involvement. This is a tremendous project that we believe
will open the eyes and hearts of future generations of Americans,
and we are proud to be part of this effort."

     The Freedom Center will highlight the Underground Railroad's
true stories of courage and cooperation in the quest for freedom.
Using state-of-the-art exhibitions, dialogues, freedom stations,
and its public Web site sponsored by the Federated Foundation,
the Freedom Center will inspire today's freedom movements and
serve as a catalyst for contemporary networks of collaboration.
Federated joins a leadership group of companies and foundations
from around the nation that have provided strong support for the
Freedom Center. This gift brings the total raised to $62 million.

     Freedom Center president and CEO, Ed Rigaud added: "I see
strong ties between Federated's dedication to education and the
Freedom Center's mission. This is demonstrated by Federated's
history of philanthropy and employee volunteerism in hundreds of
schools nationwide. The Freedom Center plans to distribute its
freedom curriculum in schools throughout the United States. This
generous gift is not only a statement about educational quality
and diversity, but also about the potential of using technology to
connect people in positive ways."

     Sponsorship of the Web site

     The gift announcement coincided with the unveiling of the
Freedom Center's newly redesigned Web site. The Web site
design targets students, teachers, and American History enthusiasts
and researchers. It features user-friendly organization and search
functioning for obtaining information on the people, places, and
timing of events of the Underground Railroad. Additionally, it is a
resource for scholarly research, homework assistance, curriculum
materials, and family stories. The new site also features news of
contemporary events and message boards for discussion of
today's slavery and freedom issues.

     "The Internet is becoming accepted for what it is: a powerful tool,
when used properly," said Rigaud. "Our Web presence will never
replace the onsite visitation to the Freedom Center (in 2004) but
our research and planning over the past year has taught us how
best to meet the online interests of our visitors from around the U.S."

     Bibliographies of the people of the Underground Railroad was
one of the most often expressed interests by Internet users, with
secondary interest being in maps, family history, and other classroom
materials. As a result, the Freedom Center has concentrated its
resources on developing its portal for just such educational
programming. This site allows teachers to share curriculum plans
with one another, identify resources, and observe other projects
from around the nation including the Freedom

     Center's own online school project which will be available to
schools nationwide.

     Adding personal content to the Web

     The Web site also is designed to maximize the collection of
     personal stories. On the history section, "Slavery's Past,"
     visitors are encouraged to share their own family stories of the
     Underground Railroad and slavery. In the contemporary section,
     "Freedom Today," visitors are invited to share acts of courage --
     those moments when someone they know took a risk and stood up for
     another. These stories are a way for history museums to involve
     visitors in sharing the impact of freedom in America.

     "The Internet is irrevocably changing how we view museums,"
     asserted Rigaud. "This site will be an intersection where you will
     see history and become engaged in today's issues." The "Freedom
     Today" section of the Web site solicits contemporary freedom issues
     in cities and towns nationwide and provides opportunities to
     respond to what is important in that community using message
     boards. These will be followed later by listservs, live chats with
     freedom leaders, and other interactive media.