NYHIST-L Archives

February 2001

From:
C M Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2001 12:25:04 -0500
At 07:44 AM 01/31/2001 -0500, you wrote:

>> >    Does anyone know of a definitive map of the  Underground Railroad
>> >stations in New York State?  I need to be able to  obtain rights or
>> >permission to use it for a book on NY women which will include  Harriet
>> >Tubman. Thanks so much, Antonia Petrash

The "lore" of my village, Clayville, says that the house across the
street from the old Clayville High School (now demolished) was a stop
on the underground railroad. It was also the house from which Henry
Clay reportedly gave a speech in the early 1800's and hence the name
of the village was changed from "Paris Furnace" to "Clayville".

I'm not sure who owns that house now but the Tilbe family are near
neighbors. You might also try contacting the Town Clerk's Office for
more details (Town of Paris; Sauquoit, NY 13456) or the Village of
Clayville Library (Main Street, Clayville 13322).

Marsha Strong