NYHIST-L Archives

August 2006

From:
Charles Hartley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2006 09:23:01 -0400
Good Morning.

I am researching the ancestry of James S. Wallace who was born 12 May
1805 in New York (perhaps Albany). Mr. Wallace later became an editor
for several Pennsylvania newspapers. In 1849 he wrote a personal
letter to "Mr. D. Lewis" who was apparently seeking confirmation to a
judgeship. In this letter, Mr. Wallace made the following comment:

"As to my own influence in the Senate, Chase of Ohio is my cousin,
Dickinson of NY my father's cousin and Seward an old and attached
family friend who when Governor gave my brother in law the second
best office in his gift and wrote to me, regretting that I was not in
the state to be the recipient of the farms"

Presently I am seeking the identity of the brother-in-law. All I know
about him is stated or implied in this comment: that Seward gave him
a significant place in government and that he was married to a
Wallace.

Any clues that you might offer to his identity will be greatly
appreciated. Naturally, if you have knowledge of Mr. Wallace's
ancestry, that will be welcomed as well.

Thanks,
Charlie Hartley