NYHIST-L Archives

February 2001

From:
Peter Eisenstadt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 08:50:55 -0500
Dear Phil:

"Kindred Spirits" (or "After You," as my friends used to call it) was included in the exhibition "Art and the Empire City" at the Metropolitian Museum last summer. It is owned by the NYPL.
Peter Eisenstadt

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/14/01 08:29 AM >>>
Does anyone know the exact physical location, right now, of Durand's
Kindred Spirits?

I was in NYC yesterday, stopped by the NY Public Library, where I was
sure I had seen it 20 years ago on a wall in one of the monumental
stairways.  Couldn't find it, asked someone at an information desk,
and got no help at all--something about all paintings removed from
display or some gallery closed.  I was in a hurry and didn't have
time to pursue it.

It's not terribly important that I get this information, but I'd
wanted to see whether this is further evidence of my deteriorating
faculties.  So if anyone has answers to these questions, I'd be most
appreciative: Does the NY Public Library own this painting?  And
where is it?

cheers,
phil
--