NYHIST-L Archives

April 2007

From:
David Palmquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:32:49 -0400
Dear Paul : I agree/concur.  The common/overdone use of the slash to
link related terms is confusing and should be condemned/avoided.

David

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/25/07 9:15 PM >>>
As we approach the Hudson-Champlain observances in  2009, there is a
question
of historians' writing style that has me  intrigued.  I find myself
slightly
annoyed when I read a phrase that seems  to me trite and hackneyed in
otherwise good historical writing.  Am I being  oversensitive, or is
this a valid
gripe?  The phrase is this:  In  1609 Hudson/Champlain "explored the
river/lake
which bears his name."   This gets written in this way over and over.
Shouldn't
this worn-out,  stale phrase be avoided by good writers?  I guess once
one
begins to notice  it, the more annoying it gets.

Paul Huey

************************************** AOL now offers free email to
everyone.