NYHIST-L Archives

February 2001

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:09:40 -0500
I was about to write the very same words that Bill Lindsay just sent. I use the case history of the Indians of the US in my classes to demonstrate all the factors normally associated with the White/Black conflict. I do this to focus my students on getting at objective and measurable facts with less emotion and prejudice and to understand that these concepts appy equally to all minority/dominant conflicts. The Indians (and this is now correct again) have been put conveniently in the reservations of our collective national memory, as well as physically on the reservations of our land.

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/01/01 05:02PM >>>
I believe that the point(s) you make are worth our reflection. The danger of
reshaping the historical truth is ever present whenever we choose to "focus" on
a particular topic.

I am writing because I would ask you to consider the Native people genocide of
equal importance when we begin to classify "most painful moments in American
history."

Needless to say, my ambivalence is equal to your own. As to the URR, it merits
our attention, if only because it demonstrates that in the darkest moments,
some people are guided by an "inner light" that supersedes the prevailing
politic/ethos.

--

All the best,

Bill Lindsay DDGM