NYHIST-L Archives

October 1997

Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 22:03:24 -0400
Hi Ted,

>Can anyone direct me to an account of the state government's move out of
>NYC to Albany in 1797? My fitful researches haven't produced anything very
>useful. I am especially interested in whether any comparisons can
>be drawn with the public reaction to the departure of the federal
>government in 1790.
>
>Ted Burrows
>Department of History
>Brooklyn College

You might try contacting Bruce Abrams, archivist at the NY Co Clerk's Office,
Division of Old Records, 212-374-4376.

I've been helping him prepare judgments from that time for conservation work
(just call me a duster!), and Bruce is quite knowledgeable about the
government and the court system of this era.

Best,

Leslie

Leslie Corn
NYC Research & Genealogy