NYHIST-L Archives

October 1997

From:
R DAgostino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:18:01 -0700
On October 27, [log in to unmask] wrote...

"I am mainly interested in the civil war area and how the small towns were affected.
I am transcribing diaries and trying to research the feelings of the community to
things like Lincoln's death, the war effort, feelings about emancipation, etc.  Any
info you could direct me to?  Any local web sites other that the civil war web site?"

Bob D'Agostino responds:

The Greene County Historical Society has a number of diaries from the Civil War era.
One set in particular which comes to mind is that of Elizabeth Miller. She lived
in the New Baltimore/Medway area, in northern Greene County NY. These volumes begin
in 1861, and follow on for a number of years. She described details of her daily
life, but also recorded her reactions to the Civil War, and the local ramifications
of the conflict. For example: she recorded her feelings about the Copperheads in
the area. Another example: she wrote an entry describing her trip to Albany (NY)
on April 25, 1865, to view the body of President Lincoln when the funeral train stopped
in Albany. There was a midnight procession to the train, as well.

The diaries of Elizabeth Miller (as well as those of others) are available for research
at the Vedder Research Library at the Bronck Museum Complex, which is the headquarters
of the Greene County Historical Society (located in Coxsackie, NY 12051).

Also: three issues of the *Greene County Historical Journal* (Winter 1995, Spring
1996 and Summer 1996) contained research articles based on Elizabeth Miller's diaries.

Best of luck in your research.

Bob D'Agostino