From:
"James W. Darlington" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2001 20:21:12 -0400
Check the old legislative manuals. These volumes list town and village
populations for the preceding twenty or thirty years. New towns can be
identified by "Holes" in the rows of population figures. The manuals also
list names and specific dates when towns and villages were created.

I'm not sure if the manuals of the last couple of decades contain such
information.

Jim Darlington