NYHIST-L Archives

November 2008

Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2008 11:32:51 EST
Hi All,

A friend of mine is trying to locate some information regarding:

Isaac L. Hoxie who operated a store on "Indian  River."

He found the following information in Ted Aber's book, "History of  Hamilton
County." Isaac L. Hoxie, 40, born in Massachusetts, with his wife  Minerva,
33, settled near Indian River, (Hamilton County, New York), where  they operated
a store and small inn around 1860. Their son Howard was born in  1869.

He is trying to find the exact location of that  store.

He is also searching for the location of "Osbern" or "Osborn" or "Osborne"
Dam. He has the following information, "October 6, 1870 a new road was surveyed
 for in the Little Canada area, (This is in Big Brook near Indian Lake, New
York.), done by application of Henry Crandall." (Crandall was the land owner
and  John B. Eldridge was his northern agent.) "A road commencing on the north
bank  of Center Brook at J. B. Eldridge's farm, ran across the brook by the
barn, and  continued some three and one half miles to the Osbern (Osborn,) dam."

He is also trying to locate property record books that  "disappeared" from
the office of Finch, Pruyn and Company in Glens Falls. He has  the following
information regarding the books from the 1914 hearings of the  Civil Actions
Suits, Settlers of Lot #15 in Indian Lake vs. New York  State. "I would like the
record show in some of these cases that Finch  & Company and John McGinn and
the Crandalls kept what they called the  Township 15 book, in which they kept an
account of land that had sold and  amounts paid. That was kept in the offices
at Glens Falls, and at the time of  the death of George C. Finch, certain
papers were removed from the vault, and so  far as we can ascertain, that
Township 15 book has never been seen since. We  have made diligent search at the
offices of Finch Pruyn, and the International  Paper Company, and have interviewed
Mr. Root, who kept the book, and other  people who had a right to know, and
made demand on Griffin and Ostrander to  produce it. We have not been able
anywhere to find it or get any trace of it.  The book ought to contain a record of
all these transactions. It is in the  possession of somebody down there and
probably very close to the Indian River  Company, and we have tried to impress
on them that it is their business to  produce it. We also investigated Mr.
McGinn's, looked through his books and  papers, and we were unable to find
anything there either. Jerry Finch claimed  they took it away. He makes the
assertion with some vigor."

We SUSPECT that these books may still exist SOMEWHERE. Perhaps they  are in
someone's cellar, barn, historical society records, etc.

Any help or guidance you might give on  any of this would be GREATLY
appreciated!

Les Buell
5 Travel Deals!