NYHIST-L Archives

December 2002

Date:
Tue, 24 Dec 2002 12:30:34 -0500
I'm reconstructing this from memory, but I believe Stokes had it right. For
obscure reasons, the charter given to the Duke of York in 1664 combined New
Netherland with a chunk of real estate, now in Maine, between the Kennebec
and Ste. Croix rivers. Twenty years later, when New York colony was
"shired" -- i.e. organized into English-style counties -- the Maine
territory became Cornwall and Dukes. It's unlikely that the European
residents of those two counties (there couldn't have been many) considered
themselves New Yorkers, however, and probably only the Duke's lawyers would
insist on including them with the colony's ten contiguous counties. I've
never seen evidence that anyone objected when Cornwall and Dukes were
attached to Massachusetts after the collapse of the Dominion of New
England -- or indeed when Maine was subsequently detached from Massachusetts
and brought into the Union as part of the Missouri Compromise. Hope this
helps (assuming I got the story straight).

Edwin G. Burrows
Visiting Distinguished Professor of History
Hofstra University