NYHIST-L Archives

November 1997

Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 16:15:31 -0500
I forwarded the 1939 information to the gentleman who is President of the
local Board of Education and is interested in history. He had a memory that I
thought some of you might enjoy. His reply follows. Thanks for all the
postings of New York State History!! Les Buell

As a side note to New York 1939, I noticed that on June 28 Joe Louis fought
Tony Galento--here's the interesting part--when I went into the army my
training Sergeant in Basic at Atlantic City was a hulking brute who had been
Tony Galento's sparring partner.  Iam not certain--memories do get rusty--but
I believe his name was Joe Schepp (spelling uncertain).  His memorable
comment I remember from one confrontation.  "You and me gonna take a trip to
the hospital.  You goin' to get my boot out of your ----- and me, I'm goin'
to get my boot!