From:
William Ringle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 17:54:44 -0000
Forgive me for suggesting this,because you've probably already done it, but
in the early 1960s NY State created an Office of Town Government (at the
behest of former Comptroller, Chancellor the State University and ex-Lt.
Gov. Frank C.Moore,  who was enchanted with town government). They might (an
unwarranted assumption, I'll comcede) have such information, if the Office
of Town Government still exists.

On the subject, I've had what has become a so-far-fruitless 50-year quest
for a speech (or an essay or a letter, or an official message) by Al Smith
called "Why Arietta?" In it he supposedly expressed his bewilderment with
town government. Frank Moore mentioned it in a speech I heard in 1950 or
1951 in Rome, NY. but then I was too young & stupid (I've since become
stupider, but no younger) to get the source.

Smith evidently cited Arietta (in the Adirondacks, in Hamilton County) I
suuppose because it had then a relative handful of people yet required the
full panoply of town government --supervsor, town board, town attorney (??)
etc.

                                                       William Ringle