NYHIST-L Archives

April 2011

From:
NYHISTLED <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 09:19:46 -0400
Following conference announcement is posted by request.

--Moderator, NYHIST-L

> 11th Annual Algonquian Peoples Seminar
>  April 30, 2011
>

> New York State Museum
> Cultural Education Center,  Empire State Plaza
> Madison Avenue , Albany, New York
>
> 9:00 - 9:30   Registration -
> 9:30 - 10:00     Welcome & Board Introduction     Mariann Mantzouris
&
> Kevin Fuerst
> Presentation of Colors by the Mohican Veterans, (Please stand)
>
> 10:00 - 10:20   John Lothrop
>
> Archaeological Research on First Peoples of Eastern New York and the
New
> England-Maritimes  Humans first explored New York about 13,000 years
> ago, as this region was emerging from the Ice Age. With glacial
retreat,
> eastern New York was the physical gateway through which Paleoindians
> entered the broader New England-Maritimes (NEM) region (extending
east
> through New England to Québec, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick).  This
> paper reviews (1) current evidence for changing deglacial
environments
> of these regions, and (2) ongoing archaeological research on how
Native
> Americans colonized the Late Pleistocene landscapes of the Hudson
Valley
> and the NEM between 13,000 and 10,000 years ago.
> ~Although not a New York native, Jon Lothrop did his graduate work
in
> anthropology at Binghamton University.  While there, he collaborated
on
> excavations at the Potts Paleoindian site in Oswego County for his
> dissertation, and received his Ph.D. in 1988.  He spent the next 20
> years in cultural resource management, directing archaeological
survey,
> testing, and data recovery excavations on prehistoric sites from the
> Ohio Valley to New England.  In 2008, Dr. Lothrop joined the New
York
> State Museum as Curator of Archaeology.  His duties include curation
of
> the prehistoric archaeology collections, public education, and
research
> on Late Pleistocene adaptations in the New York region
> 10:25 - 10:40    George Hamel
>                                                               Life's
> Immortal Shell: Wampum as a Light and Life Metaphor
>                           From my research into Great Lakes Native
> American oral tradition during the past 40 years I have concluded
that
> white shell served within ritual contexts as a visible and tangible
> metaphor for the concepts of LIGHT and LIFE.  When consecrated to
ritual
> use, white shell, whether in its natural form or modified into some
> other form, and regardless of whether it was freshwater shell or
marine
> shell, served as a metaphor for the concepts of LIGHT and LIFE: for
the
> biological continuity of LIFE in general, and the biological and
social
> continuity of HUMAN LIFE in particular.  This conceptual and
aesthetic
> value of white shell served as the common denominator of all the
> functions or so-called "values" historically-recorded for white
wampum;
> especially white wampum's functions as the medium and the message of
> "social" relations.  The ritual meaning of white wampum informed the
> contrasting meanings of dark purple ["black"] wampum and of
red-painted
> wampum in these same contexts."
>
> ~George R. Hamell's professional career began as an Interpetive
> Naturalist for the Monroe County Parks Department in western New York
in
> 1962.  Seven years later he returned to college to major in
anthropology
> and american history at St. John Fisher College, a liberal arts
college
> near Rochester, N.Y.  In 1974 he joined the anthropology department
of
> the Rochester Museum and Science Center where he served as Curator
of
> Anthropology through 1980.  In 1981he joined the New York State
Museum
> where he served in several successive roles: as Senior Exhibits
Planner
> in Anthropology, as ad hoc curator of ethnology and archeology, and
> lastly, as Senior Historian.  Mr. Hamell retired from the State
Museum
> in October 2007 to return to Rochester to become the curator of the
Rock
> Foundation Collection that has been on loan to the Rochester Museum
and
> Science Center since 1977.  This is a large and well documented
> collection of Seneca and other Iroquois archeological material
culture,
> spanning late prehistory through the end of the 18th century.
Throughout
> his career, Mr. Hamell has looked to Seneca, Huron-Wyandot, and
other
> Northern Iroquoian oral tradition for the interpretation of
> archeological and ethnological material culture.
>
> 10:45 - 11:00   Break
>
> 11:00 - 11:20  JoAnne Schedler
>                                                                 The
> 150th Anniversay of the Mohican Stockbridge-Munsee in the Civil War
> ~Ms. Schedler, BSN, MSM, RN, is a life member Reserve Officers
> Association, Mohican Veteran Officer founding member, 1996-present,
> American Legion post # 0117, 2004-present, Tribal Historic
Preservation
> committee for Stockbridge-Munsee Community, 2004-present,
Constitution
> committee for the Stockbridge-Munsee Community, 2005-present,
> Peacemaker, Stockbridge-Munsee Tribal Court 2005- present Nursing
> Instructor for Associate Degree Program at College of the Menominee
> Nation 2008/ 2009, Officer in the US Army Nurse Corps Reserves 1984,
> served over twenty years with the 452 Combat Support Hospital (CSH),
> retired as a Major from the Army Reserve in July 2004, Sigma Theta
Tau
> International Honor Society of Nurses since 1992, National Alaska
Native
> American Indian Nurses Association # 10179,
> 11:25 - 11:45   Kevin White
>
>                Speck on Penobscot and Iroquois Worldviews in the
> Cosmological Narratives
> Frank Speck was one of the few anthropologists in the early
twentieth
> century examining ways in which the ceremonials of the Native
Americans
> connected directly or indirectly to the cosmological narratives.  In
> examining tales, religious beliefs, and ceremonies, Speck highlights
the
> interwoven tendencies and practices that have continued to endure
> through the generations and ages.  By examination of these
variations
> one can examine indigenous cultures in the midst of transition,
> struggling to balance ancient traditions and sacred beliefs as told
in
> the first instructions of the cosmological narratives against the
> assimilationist pressures and policies of the larger American
culture
> and government.  These ceremonials and narratives shed light on a
unique
> worldviews specific to each individual indigenous nation.  Speck saw
> these connections, during a time when it was thought the Indigenous
> peoples had very little, if anything, to offer Western Civilization
> other than a mild, passing curiosity.  I seek to energize a dialogue
by
> which contemporary Haudenosaunee communities can benefit from
hundreds
> of years of research and scholarship in ways that are useful to
those
> who continue to be affected by what has been written about them, and
> what will be written by them.
> ~Kevin J. White (Akwesasne Mohawk) holds a Ph.D. in American Studies
> (SUNY Buffalo, June 2007).  He is an Assistant Professor of Native
> American and American Studies Programs at SUNY Oswego.  He teaches
an
> Introduction to Native American Studies, History and Culture of the
> Iroquois, and American Indian Sovereignty along with other courses.
> Currently, his work focuses on various points of analysis with which
> explore the cosmological narratives in two parts of noted Tuscarora
> scholar John Napoleon Briton Hewitt, along with the work of the late
> John Mohawk on Iroquois creation. His dissertation was an exploration
of
> the published texts of the Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) Creation
> narratives.
>

> 11:50 - 12:10   Ed Curtin
> Investigation of the Vosburg Archaeological District, 2005-2010
>                                                      The Vosburg
> Archaeological District refers to a group of pre-contact period
> archaeological sites and landscapes near Normanskill Creek in
> Guilderland, New York.  The Vosburg site is well-known as one of the
> largest pre-contact sites in Albany County.  It also is considered to
be
> one of the most important Archaic period (1,000-8,000 B.C.) sites in
New
> York State.  Recent field investigations and collections research
> illustrate the rich material culture of this archaeological
district,
> while providing important new information on the origin and growth
of
> the Archaic community once located at the Vosburg site.  The new
> information includes detailed inventories of several archaeological
> collections; radiocarbon dating of small, outlying campsites;
evidence
> that several local botanical resources were used; and diverse traces
of
> continued visits to the area long after the period of Late Archaic
> florescence about 3,800-4,000 years ago.  Through consultation and
> careful consideration, the recognition of the archaeological
importance
> of the Vosburg site has led to plans for its preservation and long
term
> protection.
> ~Edward V. Curtin is the President of Curtin Archaeological
Consulting,
> Inc., located in Ballston Spa, Saratoga County, New York.  He is an
> archaeologist with a Ph.D. in anthropology from the State University
of
> New York at Binghamton.  He is best known for his interest in the
> Archaic period (1,000-8,000 B.C.) of the Northeastern United States,
but
> he also is intensely interested in all things related to the
archaeology
> of the Hudson valley.  His writing on these subjects includes “The
> Ancient Mohicans in Time, Space and Prehistory” (New York State
Museum
> Bulletin 501, pp. 5-18), “Recent Investigation of Archaic Sites at
> Hemstreet Park on the Upper Hudson River” (New York State
> Archaeological Association Newsletter, Fall 2009, pp. 1-3) and the
> forthcoming “A Small Site in Coxsackie, Circa A. D. 1200:  Some
> Ecological Issues Concerning Its Age and Location” (submitted to
New
> York State Museum Record).  He also contributes to Fieldnotes,
Curtin
www.curtinarchaeology.com/blog.

> 12:15 -1:15      Seminar Luncheon: Pumpkin Soup, Buffalo Loaf
(thunder
> Rumble) , Maple Roasted Turkey, Wild Rice with Nuts and Berries,
> Succotash, Corn Bread and Strawberry Desert-  Fresh Brewed Coffee,
> Decaf, Hot Tea and Water
>
> 1:15 - 1:35       Charles D.Burgess
> New York State's woodland period archaeological record can be a
> bewildering topic to grasp.  The periods, cultures and phases
> articulated most completely by William Ritchie in his Archaeology of
New
> York State, and elaborated upon by Funk, Snow, and others, have
become
> the language for discussing New York State archaeology.  Although
this
> language is practical and useful, it can also be extremely
confusing.
> This language of “periods” (Early, Middle, and Late Woodland),
> “cultures” (Adena, Point Peninsula, Owasco) and “phases”
> (Middlesex, Meadowood, Fox Creek) potentially obscures some
> relationships that aren't there. In this presentation I will
interpret
> the past 3,000 years of New York State's archaeological record
through
> the lens of the Mohican origin history, as related by Hendrick
Ampaumut,
> John Heckewelder, and John Quinney.  The striking relationships
between
> the origin history and the archaeological record will be discussed
as
> the archaeological record is clarified by that history.  The effects
of
> climate change will also be brought to bear in a discussion of the
> Little Ice Age.  I suggest that regional environmental and cultural
> differences between Mohican and Haudenosaunee material cultures,
> including settlement form, house form and projectile point form.
>

> ~My research focuses on the relationships between indigenous peoples
> and their landscapes, and how interdisciplinary research and mapping
can
> be used to bring those relationships to life.  Most recently I have
> studied the Mohican River and its people, whose homeland I have been
> blessed to inhabit all my life.  I recently received my MA in
> Archaeology from Cornell University, and I also hold a BA in
> Anthropology from SUNY Albany, and an AS in Wilderness Recreation
> Leadership from North Country Community College.
> 1:40 - 2:00      Judy Hartley
> Growing up on the Reservation: Changing Perspectives
> I am a member of the Stockbridge-Munsee/Band of Mohicans tribe.  Our
> tribal native lands are in the area of Albany, NY; however, as is
well
> known, our tribe like many others was pushed out of our native
lands.
> Our particular band ended up on a reservation in north central
> Wisconsin.  This is where I was born and spent the first 18 years of
my
> life.  I would like to reflect on that experience in my talk.
> ~I am a tribal elder. I am involved in a long-term project to
reclaim
> our language.  To that end, we are first learning Delaware (Lenape)
> because that is the language closest to our native Mohican.
> Professionally, I have a B.S. degree in biology and worked for years
as
> a biologist.  I later obtained an M.B.A. and have worked for the past
21
> years for a very large, global medical diagnostics firm, Roche
> Diagnostics.
> 2:05 - 2:25   Daniel Mazau & Sean P. Higgins
> Lithic reduction  & resource use in southern New York State: the
Naima
> and Paul J. Higgins site
>
>                                                   Recent excavations
by
> the Cultural Resource Survey Program (CRSP) at the New York State
Museum
> (NYSM) have identified two multi-component prehistoric sites in
southern
> New York State: the Paul J. Higgins site in northwestern Westchester
> County, and the Naima site in central Suffolk County.
Archaeological
> data from these sites indicate both were occupied during the Late
> Archaic and Late Woodland period and that they primarily served as
late
> stage lithic production sites.  This paper will examine the total
lithic
> assemblages of both sites, including formal tools and production
> debitage, as well as present a discussion of raw materials used at
the
> sites.  The resulting data will be used to understand the stone tool
> industry, site organization, and raw material exploitation of the
two
> sites, and the derivative interpretations will draw from the
> contextualizing of the sites’ data at, first, the local scale.
> Assessment of the local lithic industries will then be followed by
the
> comparison of the two sites in order to discuss broader patterns in
> lithic reduction and resource exploitation during the Late Archaic
and
> Late Woodland periods in New York.
>
> ~Daniel Mazeau and Sean Higgins are archaeologists (Principal
> Investigators) for the New York State Museum’s Cultural Resource
> Survey Program (CRSP) in Albany, New York.  Daniel has worked with
CRSP
> since 2003 and, in addition to conducting archaeological projects
> throughout New York State with the Museum, has worked in Mexico and
> Belize.  His graduate research focused on settlement patterns around
the
> Classic Period Maya city of Chunchucmil, while his recent interests
> center on the settlement patterns and lithic industries of
prehistoric
> Long Island, NY.
> ~Sean P. Higgins began working at CRSP in 2004.  His research
interests
> focus on faunal analysis and the ways in which such data are used in
> assessing the diet, subsistence systems, and socioeconomic
organization
> of prehistoric and historic populations.  Sean’s Masters’
thesis,
> completed at the University at Albany in 2009, examined the faunal
> remains recovered from San Estevan, a Maya site located in northern
> Belize, seeking to identify the emergence of social complexity
during
> the end of the Mesoamerican Formative period.
> 2:25 - 2:40       Break
>
> 2:40 - 3:00    Warren F. Broderick
>
>                                      The Stephentown Mounds
>

>          Do earthen mounds created by Native peoples exist in
Mohican
> country in eastern New York and western New England?  Long-held
beliefs
> of historians and ethnologists infer that Algonquian peoples did not
> construct them.  A number of earthen mounds are found in Iroquois
> country in western New York State. Two known and one reported raised
> earthen “mounds” are found in Mohican country.  I will speak
about
> the Stephentown mounds.
> ~Warren F. Broderick is Archivist Emeritus for the New York State
> Archives, Albany, NY.  He is actively involved in promoting the use
of
> original documentary sources in American history research and
writing.
> Mr. Broderick received his B.A. and M.A. degrees in American Studies
> from Union College.Mr. Broderick is active in land preservation in
> Rensselaer County. With a background as a historian, he has authored
> five books, edited or contributed to ten others, and written a number
of
> journal articles on natural history, American ceramics, and
American
> literary and local historical subjects, in particular New York
State’s
> Native Americans in literature.
>
> 3:05 - 4:20    Closing Remarks and Retreat of the Colors” by
Mohican

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Please
> visit our crafts people, authors, and venders. They are here to
share
> their crafts, knowledge, and experiences with you.
> My thanks go to each of you for making this event a success!!
Mariann

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~2011

Name________________________________________________________________________

Address_______________________________________________________________________
> Phone  (       )__________-
> _____________E-Mail______________________________________
> Seminar & Buffet
Seminar
> & Buffet   $40.00  Number Attending____
> NAIHRV Members                                              Seminar
&
> Buffet  $30.00  Number Attending____
> Student with School ID                                      Seminar
> Only         $20.00  Number Attending____
> Student with School ID                                      Seminar
&
> Buffet   $35.00 Number Attending____
> Please make payment out to NAIHRV       Mail completed form and
payment
> to:
> NAIHRV      Mariann Mantzouris      PO Box 327           Sand Lake,
NY