NYHIST-L Archives

November 1999

From:
Wayne Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:24:23 -0500
Plattsburgh State University of New York does teach a course in New York
State History, but its enrollment and importance is a shadow of what it
once was. Until about twenty years ago, every public school student in the
State took New York State history in seventh grade. It was a full year
course and every middle school/junior high teacher had to teach it. This
meant that every college student who wanted to be a history teacher would
take a college course in New York State history. The move toward a heavier
emphasis in the curricula on world cultures and so on meant that teaching
time had to be found somewhere to accomodate the introduction of these
topics. This lead to an abolishment of the seventh grade history course
across the State, to be replaced by 'modules' of local history taught in
fourth and/or fifth grade with the contents dtermined by the individual
teacher. Consequently, when our highly esteemed NY State and regional
history professor retired last decade, his slot was converted to an
international history position (Asian, I believe). The course is taught
every other year by an adjunct.

Wayne Miller
Plattsburgh State U.

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Peter Holloran wrote:

> I would be interested in knowing if many colleges in New York teach
> state history. It is required in high schools and colleges in some
> states, but not (as far as I can determine) in Northern states.
>
> Peter Holloran
> Worcester State College

Wayne L. Miller                         Special Collections Librarian
Feinberg Library                        2 Draper Avenue
518-564-5206                            Plattsburgh, NY 12901
[log in to unmask]      or             [log in to unmask]
        "I wonder what will happen today!"  -Maggie Muggins-
"Not even God can change history...which is why he tolerates historians."
                                        -Voltaire