From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 00:03:17 -0400
Bonnie, and others living in the western New York area,

Our Genesee Valley Civil War Roundtable meets the third Wednesday of every
month, September through June, in Le Roy. We have a program of speakers
usually booked two years in advance (but subject to change). Anyone
interested in the list of topics can e-mail me directly and I'll e-mail
back with the schedule so far.

Speaking of Civil War women, I picked up a used copy of Nurse and Spy in
the Union Army: The Adventures and Experiences of a Woman in Hospitals,
Camps and Battle-Fields (1865), by S. Emma E. Edmonds.

I was rather delighted when I mentioned it to someone else researching the
ACW and was told that modern day investigations prove that Ms. Edmonds had
an extremely vivid imagination. Okay, she was a fraud. Should make it even
more fun. Most of us love rascalesses (as well as their male counterparts).
Might make an interesting article for someone to write.

David Minor

>Linda Crannell wrote:
>>
>> Just found this on the internet. Does anyone have any more information
>>about this woman? Has anyone read the book? Thanks, Linda
>>
>> For some interesting reading:
>>
>> An Uncommon Soldier: The Civil War Letters of Sarah
>>  Rosetta Wakeman, alias Private Lyons Wakeman, 153rd...

>Yes to both - I got my copy (paperback) at the Border's here in
>Rochester, on Hylan Drive.  I like it and have several friends who
>want to read it and they aren't especially into the Civil War!
>
>BTW, also at our Border's, there's a "Civil War Forum" group that's
>been meeting the 4th Wednesday of each month in the cafe'

<snip>

>Bonnie Glickman, Rochester

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
716 264-0423

http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 450,000,000 BC to 1990 AD.