Bonnie, and others living in the western New York area,

Our Genesee Valley Civil War Roundtable meets the third Wednesday of every
month, September through June, in Le Roy. We have a program of speakers
usually booked two years in advance (but subject to change). Anyone
interested in the list of topics can e-mail me directly and I'll e-mail
back with the schedule so far.

Speaking of Civil War women, I picked up a used copy of Nurse and Spy in
the Union Army: The Adventures and Experiences of a Woman in Hospitals,
Camps and Battle-Fields (1865), by S. Emma E. Edmonds.

I was rather delighted when I mentioned it to someone else researching the
ACW and was told that modern day investigations prove that Ms. Edmonds had
an extremely vivid imagination. Okay, she was a fraud. Should make it even
more fun. Most of us love rascalesses (as well as their male counterparts).
Might make an interesting article for someone to write.

David Minor

>Linda Crannell wrote:
>>
>> Just found this on the internet. Does anyone have any more information
>>about this woman? Has anyone read the book? Thanks, Linda
>>
>> For some interesting reading:
>>
>> An Uncommon Soldier: The Civil War Letters of Sarah
>>  Rosetta Wakeman, alias Private Lyons Wakeman, 153rd...

>Yes to both - I got my copy (paperback) at the Border's here in
>Rochester, on Hylan Drive.  I like it and have several friends who
>want to read it and they aren't especially into the Civil War!
>
>BTW, also at our Border's, there's a "Civil War Forum" group that's
>been meeting the 4th Wednesday of each month in the cafe'

<snip>

>Bonnie Glickman, Rochester

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
716 264-0423

http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 450,000,000 BC to 1990 AD.