NYHIST-L Archives

December 1995

From:
"Rusty Logan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 1995 09:54:44 CST

To: Benedict Maryniak
From: Rusty Logan

I think it is incredible that you have discovered 832 GAR posts in
New York. Here is Arkansas, we had around 110 GAR posts,
many formed by Southern Unionists. Unfortunately, newspaper
reporters and offical records keepers looked upon the GAR with such
disdain that, based on my research in a few of the state's best
archives, it's almost as if the GAR didn't exist. My question is,
where should I look outside Arkansas for GAR records. I found a
wealth of information at the Minnesota Historical Society, of all
places. Is there an ancestral group such as the Sons of Veterans that
has national membership rosters and the like. Someone, someplace,
must hace kept track of the dues.

Rusty Logan
Arkansas Historic Preservation Program
(Former NY resident)