NYHIST-L Archives

January 2003

Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 07:12:46 -0500
I agree with Daniel Weiskotten about the records being thrown
out and still are. A few years ago, I spoke to a woman in a town nearby
who was to catalog some old records and then throw them out. I got in
touch with Bill Evans at the Archives and obtained the phone number
for someone who would instruct that town about their records. They
wanted to throw away their old records just because they did not want
those 'old things' in their new town hall which was already  built and
had provided no place to put them.

When present administrations have no desire to preserve the past
history of the town they represent, this shows me that they are not
concerned about all aspects of their town but only what is on their
own agenda. Each adminstration has its own values and that is
quite scary.  Unfortunately the same thing happens with museums
and historical societies and new directors often unload items that
are not of their interest. Once gone they cannot be replaced.

God Bless
Ruth Ann