NYHIST-L Archives

January 2003

From:
Lester Hendrix <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2003 21:46:38 -0500
The authority on old word usage is the Oxford English Dictionary, available
in most major libraries. My 1979 Compact Edition gives these examples for
the first meaning:
1535  Stewart, <ital>Cron Scot<unital> II 354 Calit Gillelmus alias Gilmour
name cannot prejudice the honest
1607 Shaks, <ital>Coriel<unital> II i 48 Violent teste Magistrates (alias
Fooles)  [Act II, scene 1 line 48?]

The second meaning may be of help:
<ital>Law.<unital> A second or further writ issued after a first had failed
of its effect, so called from the words [Latin] (as we on another occasion
command) which occurred in it. <ital>Obs.<unital>

The first following example is meaningless to me but the book is open and
the magnifying glass at hand, so here it is:
1714 Sir W. Scroggs <ital>Pract. Courts<unital> (ed 3) 173 Then the
Plaintiff may have an alias.

Apologies for my inability to provide italicized text properly.