NYHIST-L Archives

July 2006

From:
David Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jul 2006 16:20:54 EDT
The Chicago Manual of Style (15th ed.), 8.13, says that in English usage  van
and the like "are lowercased when full names are given but usually
capitalized when only the last name is used"--e.g. Joannes van Keulen, Van  Keulen.  I
would follow this practice for people living in Holland or even  New
Netherland, but I believe that the general practice is to capitalize the Van  for names
that have become Americanized.  I think Martin Van Buren is  almost always
used.

David Allen
La Mesa, CA