NYHIST-L Archives

May 2006

From:
Jim Corsaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 2006 13:13:03 -0400
Dave:

For what it is worth, the State Library has the book cataloged as
fiction. Also, a 1963 review of another book by Chalmers called The
Birth of the Erie Canal published in Penn. History, calls this latter
book a good read, but hardly history. It would appear that what you have
is historical fiction.

Jim Corsaro

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/09/06 9:21 PM >>>
I've had this book in my library for several years, but am just now
getting around to reading it this month.  I've seen it listed in
countless places as a Non-Fiction book, yet it reads so much like
Fiction, or perhaps Historical Fiction, complete with quotations of
lengthy conversations between people in the 1810's and 20's, letters
between Canvass White and a bateaux boat keeper on the Mohawk River with
language that seems much more like 1950 than 1818, etc.

Do others have experience with this book &/or author?  If so, I'd love
to hear your comments.

Dave R.