Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 00:20:59 -0400
Dear NYHIST-L members;

I am attempting to write an Entertainment that is set in New-York in
1784. I have a number of questions and confusions; I hope that I can be
directed to a title or a source that will help me resolve them.

1) Does there exist a history of the gubernatorial administration of
George Clinton? I'm especially interested in his election - was it
tainted? - and in his relationship with Alexander Hamilton in the period
leading up to the election of 1784. I suspect it was quite complicated.
When, exactly, did Governor Clinton appoint James Duane mayor of the
city?

2) Speaking of James Duane, what was the criminal apparatus over which
he presided? I read that after the British withdrawal of 1783 civilial
patrols were formed; then I read that Mayor Duane had a high constable,
constables, a marshall and a sheriff. Since a Body Drops in my story,
this is of some interest to me.

3) I recall that in the election of 1784 some candidates - I'm thinking
of Isaac Sears - suffered because of their ties to the scheme of buying
up discounted paper used to pay veterans and redeeming it at full value.
Does there exist a description of how this procedure would have worked?
Would the paper have been tendered in New-York, or in Philadelphia, and
to whom?

4) Does anyone know of any narratives or descriptions or letters that
would help me in recreating the feel of New-York in those years?

I apologize for introducing a less than scholarly element to the list;
any assistance, on or off list,  would be most profoundly appreciated.

Thank you,

Charles Rignall