NYHIST-L Archives

March 2007

From:
Herb Hallas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:28:04 -0500
A news article in the March 29, 1859 issue of The New York Times about the
State Senate's legislative work in Albany pointed out that several senators
had been appointed to the "Grinding Committee." I can only guess that the
Grinding Committee's job was to determine which bills came to the floor for
a vote and which ones died. I prefer not to guess and wonder if anyone has
heard of the "Grinding Committee" and if so, what the committee's purpose
was. Thanks.

Herb Hallas

Farmingdale, NY