From:
Ruth Piwonka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:22:52 -0400
> 4) Does anyone know of any narratives or descriptions or
letters that
> would help me in recreating the feel of New-York in those
years?

** With respect NYC social atmospehre in the mid-to-late 1789s,
this is interesting.

Hudson Weekly Gazette, 4 Jan 1787
  CHRISTMAS
This season, perhaps, affords as great variety in this city, as
any other --  Some good people religiously observe it as a time
set apart for a most sacred purpose -- others decently feasting
with their friends and relatives -- stores shut up -- almost
all kinds of business suspended -- in several churches divine
service performed-- the temples dedicated to the service of
merriment, dissipation and folly, much crouded; where the sons
of gluttony and drunkenness satiate their respective
appetites--The scene with these gentry generally concludes
about mid-night, when they sally forth into the streets, and by
their unmeaning, wild, extravagant noise, disturb those
citizens who would rather sleep than get drunk,  The candid
will acknowledge this to be a just, though cursory, view of the
holy days in New-York.  ------ Pray how do you like them?

Ruth Piwonka
Kinderhook