NYHIST-L Archives

January 2006

From:
David Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jan 2006 16:28:45 EST
I am trying to gather information about the map that appears as the
frontispiece to Vol. XIV of Documents Relative to the Colonial History of New  York.
Its title is "A Platt of ye Situation of the towns & places on  ye western end
of Long Island to Hempstead."  It is signed by "Sgt (?)  Hubbard" and dated
July 3 1666.

All I have been able to find out about the map is that the original was
burned in the fire at New York State Archives around 1911.  I am guessing  that
its author was Sergeant James Hubbard, who was one of the founders of  Gravesend
and active as a surveyor on Long Island until at least the  1670s.  There are
a number of references to "Sergeant Hubbard" and "James  Hubbard" in
Documents Relative, but they appear to be to the same person, who is  named as
Sergeant James Hubbard in the Gravesend Patent.

Does anybody know anything else about the map or its creator?  It is  quite
an interesting map, and I would like to know something about the  circumstances
of its creation.  It appears to be very carefully done, and  it should be a
good source of information for local history.  Has anybody  analyzed the map or
written anything about it?

David Allen
La Mesa, CA