NYHIST-L Archives

October 1995

From:
Jim Corsaro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 13:32:21 -0900 (PDT)

We all know that the history of NYS by Ellis, Frost et al was good in its
day, but has long outlived its usefulness with the changes in historical
studies these past 30 years. I heard sometime ago that there were some
plans to have a new history written jointly by a number of historians. Is
this still true? Is the project ongoing? Can anyone talk to the list
about this?

If there is not such a history in the works, what do you all think about
the need for a good, up-to-date history of the state? Any ideas about how
this could get done? Do any of your NYS local history teachers think it
is needed or have you found means of avoiding the need of a general college
textbook?

I will look forward to a discussion about this. I think it is a critical
need.

James Corsaro
Associate Librarian
Manuscripts and Special Collections