NYHIST-L Archives

September 2001

Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 18:36:12 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/01 4:19:45 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< I have found it difficult to read
some of the recent postings because of the smoke in my eyes.  It seemed
strange to read musings about the material culture of past centuries when the
National Guard is in the city where I live and the bureaucracy is straining
to produce enough death certificates so quickly. >>

I believe that this subject began when someone was asking for events that
affected NYers throughout HISTORY.  After all, Pearl Harbor was an historical
event and I do not believe anyone was comparing it to the recent WTC tragedy.
 I for one, was alive during both tragedies and found our recent one to be
the most catastrophic. Living in New York City, so close to the devastation
and loss of lives, makes this so.

My son was at his office, across the street at 1 Liberty Plaza and witnessed
it all.  Luckily he had left the area shortly before the final collapse.

There are many people who choose to discount important events just because it
was before their time; in reality, these events were all part of our history
and many esteemed historians appreciate eyewitness accounts.  This leaves no
room for snobbery.

Eileen in NYC