NYHIST-L Archives

April 2001

From:
Phil Lord <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 14:54:42 -0400
I would think Sturbridge Village or the Farmer's Museum, where collections of ice harvesting tools are displayed, would be a start. Channels (canals) were cut across the pond and as ice blocks were cut out on the pond, they were floated through these canals cut in the ice to shore using long iron tipped poles.

>>> [log in to unmask] 04/20/01 05:57PM >>>
HI
Once when I was up in Glens Falls we went somewhere and they had a thick
walled barn full of ice stored with shavings of wood to keep it from freezing
the blocks together. It was a hot summer day out but freezing in the "ice"
barn. I remember seeing picture where horse drawn wagons were on the shore of
a lake and with big saws they were cutting the ice and dragging the blocks to
the shore where the wagon was.

My Mother remembers when she was a kid her grandfather would grind up ice
from the "Ice House" and they would have Maple sugar melted and poured over
it. A big treat in them bygone days Deanna