NYHIST-L Archives

August 2006

From:
Judith Weiland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Aug 2006 12:03:26 -0400
An excellent microcosm of Adironack history.

An Adirondack Archive: The Trail to Windover
North Country Books, 1993. Local History. ISBN# 0925168173

Nan Clarkson is the granddaughter of William and Harriet Beecher
Hudnut, and archivist of their large and accomplished family, whose
gathering place in the Adirondacks is Windover.

She is listed in Who's Who in American Women as a "community
volunteer," and she has served on the board of her college and both
museum and arts organizations.  She was one of the founding members of
the Museum Associates of the State Museum in Albany, and was Chair of
the Arts Commission of the City of Buffalo. In the Adirondacks, she was
on the board of the RR Museum of the North Creek Railway depot.

Quoting Pamela Gravagne <[log in to unmask]>:

> I am writing a paper about the construction of gender and wilderness
> > around the turn of the century and would appreciate suggestions on
> finding more source material (diaries, letters, journals, books,
> stories >  . . ) on women in, near or associated with the Adirondack
Mountains
> at > that time.  Thanks in advance.

Judith Weiland, Director of Operations
The Randforce Associates, LLC
Oral History and Multi-Media Documentary
UB Technology Incubator at
Baird Research Park
1576 Sweet Home Road, Suite 230A
Amherst, NY 14228