NYHIST-L Archives

January 2003

From:
David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 17:51:10 -0500
In " "AN OUTLINE HISTORY of Tioga and Bradford Counties in Pennsylvania,
Chemung,
Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins and Schuyler in New York by TOWNSHIPS, VILLAGES,
BORO'S AND CITIES", written expressly for the Gazette Company, ELMIRA, N.Y.
for a Premium to subscribers of the Weekly Gazette and Free Press.
Copyright, 1885 by The Gazette Company"", there are two listed for Elmira.

US Congressman Selah Tuthill of NY died in 1821.

Selah Holcomb settled 2 mi. E. of Jerusalem in Herkimer County.

Several of the 8 or 9 hits on my hard drive alone. Common enough, I guess.

David Minor

>        Ok, this may be a stupid question, but was "Selah" a common first
>name in the 19th century?  I keep finding it in my records here, and I think
>it's being used as a male first name, but my only other recollection of it
>is as a kind of exclamation in the Bible.
>        Does anybody have any information on this?
>
>Sharon A. Pullen, C.A.
>Archivist
>Office of the County Clerk
>Historic Documents Library
>310 Center Drive
>Riverhead, NY 11901-3392
>
>Phone: 631-852-2015
>Email:  [log in to unmask]

David Minor
Eagles Byte Historical Research
Pittsford, New York
585 264-0423

Visit the Canal Society of New York State page at http://www.canalsnys.org/

To be put on the mailing list for the weekly TimeMaster radio scripts
(WXXI-FM 91.5), as well as news of updates to my homepage and a URL of the
week, e-mail me at the address above.

http://home.eznet.net/~dminor

includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and State, from
approximately 1,100,000,000 BC to 1991 AD.

"I would undertake to supply your demands if your generosity is equal to them."
        -John Bartram, U. S. naturalist