NYHIST-L Archives

October 1997

From:
"B.A. Stone" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 18:04:32 -0500
I have done considerable deed research at the Genesee County Clerk's
office and routinely run into this quote. The assistant County Clerk
explained that wives were questioned separately about their willingness
to sell/buy property to help ensure that the decision was jointly made.
Women had far fewer financial resources (at least during the 1802-1910s,
the period covering my research interests), and there was a public
interest in seeing to it that a male did not bankrupt the family and
then desert, leaving the rest of the family destitute.

Hope this helps.