NYHIST-L Archives

September 2005

From:
Bill Casey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:10:26 EDT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: DEBBIE J. STACK, (315)  451-6138; [log in to unmask]
(mailto:[log in to unmask])
September  15, 2005
Olde-Tyme Harvest Celebration at the Witter Agricultural  Museum
Saturday,  September 24:  10 am – 4  pm
Step back in time to enjoy an old-fashioned harvest  celebration at the
Witter  Agricultural Museum (_http://www.nysagsociety.org/friendsofwitter.htm_
(http://www.nysagsociety.org/friendsofwitter.htm) ),  located at the NYS
Fairgrounds in Syracuse, NY.  The event, which will run from 10am to 4pm on Saturday,
September 24,  will feature demonstrations by crafters, blacksmiths, and square
dancers;  contests; exhibits; music; food; and special presentations by two
agricultural  leaders.  This first-time event is a  salute to our rich
agricultural heritage.
Our youngest visitors will be charmed by the farm animals  in our petting
zoo.  The Colonial  Rug Hooking Guild will host their biennial rug show with its
displays of rugs,  ornaments, wall-hangings, and more in our Museum’s textile
room.  In our wood room visitors will watch a  chair-maker at work and marvel
at an exhibit of hand-carved farm equipment.  Other activities include a
scavenger  hunt, butter-making, square-dancing, and performances of “olde-tyme”
music.  Black-smithing demonstrations will be  ongoing throughout the day in our
adjacent Carriage Museum.  Craft items, perfect for gift-giving, as  well as
foods, including sandwiches, cookies, cider, and more will be  available.
We’re proud to host special presentations by two  well-known New  York State
agriculturalists. At 1l:00 am Bob Bitz, of Plainville Turkey Farm, will share
 his family history in a presentation entitled, A Farm in Plainville.  Mr.
Bitz will talk about the development  and demise of the small family farm and
the growth of today’s large farms, using  his family’s experience at Plainville
Turkey Farm, which dates to 1835.
At 1:00 pm,  Dick McGuire, who recently was presented  with the American Farm
Bureau Federation’s Distinguished Service Award, its  highest honor, will
tell of his experience farming with horses on a small dairy  farm, to becoming
Commission of Agriculture and Markets for New York State.  His story takes us
through the dramatic  changes in agriculture that occurred in the 20th century.

We also encourage visitors to enter our Biggest Pumpkin,  Tallest Corn Stalk,
and Favorite Historic Agricultural Photo Contests.  Competitors don’t need to
sign-up ahead  of time- they can just bring their pumpkins, corn stalks, or
favorite  agriculture-related photographs and enter our contests that day.
Prizes will be awarded and there are no  fees to enter.
Children under 16 are  free.  Parking, adjacent to the  Museum, is also free.
 A $2.00 per  adult donation is suggested.  For  more information, please
call the Witter Agricultural Museum at 315.487.7711  (ext.1322).
posted  by:

Bill  Casey
PO Box 36
1136 Berry Road