NYHIST-L Archives

October 2006

From:
Clifton Patrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 19:24:30 -0400
Let us hope that the the new Museum of African American History's
exhibit on slavery does not exclude all the non-African peoples that
where enslaved: Native Americans, prisoners, Europeans, and peoples
of mixed heritage.

> "A rare glimpse of the enslavement of Native Americans in Orange
> County, New York."
> Ray Decker, IOCCNYAA, and Town of Chester Historian, Clifton
> Patrick, will present a short talk at the 20th Annual
> Archaeological Conference,  on Saturday, October 28, 2006 at the
> Lautenburg Visitor Center, Sterling Forest State Park, 115 Old
> Forge Road, Tuxedo, New York.

Attached to a 1720 indenture for the "Gray Court" farm and property
is an addendum listing the personal property, chattel, included in
the sale. Along with the itemized list of the livestock is the slave
inventory, specifying their names, gender and race.

Clifton Patrick
Town of Chester Historian
119 Brookside Ave.
Chester, County of Orange