NYHIST-L Archives

October 2006

From:
David Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 07:01:09 -0400
Interesting post on an important topic.  Often buried by historians or
denied by the general public is the fact that New York was a
slave state until 1827; most northern states were slave states at the turn
of the 19th century [+/- 1800].

I attended a lecture a few weeks back at Sotterley Plantation, St. Mary's
County, Maryland, given by the director of the new Museum of African
American History to be built on the Mall in Washington, D. C. I asked him
about this very subject and YES the Museum will cover Slavery in the North
as well as in the South. I was glad to hear that and to know that slavery
can be fairly & accurately presented as a problem in all the original 13
states. The lecture was very interesting. This looks to be a very important
museum and one long needed.

David Roberts
Hollywood, MD