NYHIST-L Archives

November 1997

From:
Densmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 16:59:10 -0500
I've been interested in tracing the reform networks in central and western
New York in the 1840s-1860s, especially Garrisonians, radical Quakers and
the early woman's rights movements (there is considerable overlap). One
interesting question is where Spiritualism fits in, since a good number of
radicals were, or were at least interested, in Spiritualism after 1848
(Amy and Issac Post, Lucy Colman, Giles B. Stebbins, et. al.). On my
weekend rambles, I picked up "The Progressive Annual for 1863. Comprising
an Almanac, a Spiritualist Register, and a General Calendar of Reform"
published (and largely written) by Andrew Jackson Davis, at the office of
the (Spiritualist) Herald of Reform.

The interesting bit is the lists of "Writers, Speakers, and Workers, in
the Different Fields of Human Progress" which includes Spiritualists, but
is not limited to them. The categories of reformers, as given by Davis,
are interesting in themselves. Here they are:

Progressive Writers and Speakers
Spritualism, Philosophy and Reform [subdivided into]
        Traveling Lecturers
        Local and Occasional Speakers
Magnetic Operators, Clairvoyants, and Medical Mediums
Anti-Slavery Reformers
Temperance and Health Reformers
Social Agitators
Woman's Rights Reformers
Practicing Women Physicians
        [with letters following the names indicating the "system
        of practice, e.g. allopathic, eclectic, hydropathic or
        hygienic, homeopathic or rational]
Instructors in Light Gymnastics [all female graduates of Dr. Dio Lewis's
        Normal Institute for Physical Education]
Practical Dress Reformers [With the note that "The following is, we are
        assured, very far from being a complete list of those who have
        adopted and habitually wear the "American costume," or short
        skirt Reform dress:"]
Trans-Atlantic Progressives
More Women Physicians [graduates of Philadelphia Medical College for
        Women, this list received too late to be incorporated under
        Practicing Women Physicians]

Christopher Densmore
University Archives
University at Buffalo