NYHIST-L Archives

October 1997

From:
Densmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 1997 15:48:22 -0400
Any military uniform or button experts out there? When was the design of
button used in the Civil War by NY troops adopted. This is the design of
an eagle on globe, on a shield with the US and NY arms, with thirteen
stars above, and Excellsior below.

The question arises from a person who found one of this design in an 1851
site in Pennsylvania (could be a later intrusion) and wants to know when
the design was first used.

Christopher Densmore
University Archives
University at Buffalo