NYHIST-L Archives

February 2001

From:
Judith Wellman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 2001 17:00:14 -0500
Dear Colleagues--For those who would like to pursue research on the UGRR, the
last issue of AFRO-AMERICANS IN NEW YORK LIFE AND HISTORY Vol. 25:No. 1 (January
2001), will be very useful. It contains an article by Milton Sernett on
researching the UGRR in NYS, with an excellent bibliography, as well as an
article by me, using newspapers for Oswego County to reconsider Lara Gara's
work. There are also several websites:
    1. Oswego County--www.oswego.edu/Acad_Dept/a_and_s/history/ugrr
    2. Western New York--http://ublib.buffalo.edu/libraries/units/archives/urr/
    3. http://www.freedomtrail.org/
    4. http://www.cr.nps.gov/ugrr/network.htm
Lots more, but these will get anyone started.
    A team consisting of Milton Sernett and Douglas Armstrong from Syracuse
University, Helen Breitbeck from the Heritage Foundation of Oswego, and I have
just prepared a context statement for a Multiple Property Nomination for
Historic Resources Relating to the Freedom Trail, Abolitionism, and African
American American Life in Central New York, 1820-1870. A draft of this statement
will be on the Oswego website shortly, and we invite comments from all
interested parties. If this is accepted at the state and federal levels, anyone
in a 22-county area can then submit site nominations to the National Register of
Historic Places without having to justify why these movements are important.
    I think as we begin to do careful research--very careful research!--at the
local level, we will begin to realize that this movement was not so much one of
resident white males helping freedom-seeking African American males as it was
one of blacks and whites, men and women, of different regions, lifestyles, and
occupations, and colors, sharing similar goals but playing a variety of roles.
Fugitives are at the center of the freedom trail, their individual stories are
far more complex than most of us have ever imagined them to be.
    We need people everywhere--historians, genealogists, students, ordinary
citizens--who are willing and able to do the hard work of documentation so that
we begin to define this movement in terms that are far closer to what may
actually have happened than what we know now. Any volunteers!
    Yours in the struggle, Judy Wellman