NYHIST-L Archives

September 2003

From:
NYHISTLED <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 08:57:45 -0400
NOTE:  The following message and update are posted to NYHIST-L at the
request of the New York State Museum. Please excuse any cross-postings.

Moderator, NYHIST-L

This message is for museums, historical societies and local government
historians.  Please excuse cross-postings as we are using a number of
e-mail lists and listservs.

Hurricane Isabel has the potential to do great damage in NY State,
through damaging winds, heavy rain, coastal or lakefront flooding,
overflowing streams and rivers, fallen trees, power outages, and more.

Buildings, especially historic structures, and basements, roofs and
windows are particularly vulnerable.

The hurricane is currently projected to reach landfall in No. Carolina
Thursday morning.  The current projected path reaches across Western NY.
 If Isabel holds to this path it will cross the PA-NY border early
Friday afternoon, and be in the vicinity of Buffalo late Friday evening.
 The remainder of the state can be impacted, as the rain and wind will
extend two or three hundred miles from the center.  In addition, any
variation of the path can bring the hurricane's center to Central or
even Eastern NY; or a wider shift could take the storm out of state
entirely.

Those entrusted with historic buildings, museums, archives, and museum
and archival collections should take action now.

Office of Cultural Education has a page of Disaster Resources at:
www.oce.nysed.gov  Click on the red octagon labeled "Disaster
Resources."  Follow the links to access a variety of information on
preparing for an impending event and protecting cultural property.

NYS Emergency Management Office (SEMO) has information at
www.nysemo.state.ny.us  Click on "Hurricane Preparedness 2003," and
"Be Prepared for an Emergency!"

www.weather.com has a list of useful "Storm Readiness Tips."

In addition, Van Judd of the NYS Library has written:
. . . you might want to stress to the Libraries the importance of
keeping careful records as to any damage. In the event of a Federally
declared disaster some of their documented costs could be covered by
FEMA. More info at www.fema.gov/rrr/pa  Examples of costs that need to
be documented include staff overtime, supplies, equipment , contracts,
repair of building damage, treatment of collections etc.

I will supply additional information as I obtain it.  I invite your
suggestions.

Lastly, please call, e-mail or fax us with any information on damage.

UPDATE:  Please see the following links for the latest on Hurricane
Isabel and disaster resources:

www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT3+shtml/161442.shtml?
www.nhc.noaa.gov/ftp/graphics/AT13/refresh/AL1303W+GIF/161458W.gif

Please review your emergency plans for hurricane/severe weather
preparedness.  The following links contain helpful information as
libraries and other cultural institutions prepare for Hurricane
Isabel's
potential arrival in New York State.
www.redcross.org/services/disaster/0,1082,0_587_,00.html

Heritage Emergency National Task Force