NYHIST-L Archives

August 2010

From:
George Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:43:04 -0400
I am looking for the parents of Walter Chace, a prominent citizen of Hamden in the 1820s, & where they were born, and want to know his relationship to Edward B. Chace, a young inn-keeper in Hamden in the mid 1820s.  I have checked the genealogies of the Chase family in the New York Public, but do not see them.

Walter Chace was the father of Harry P. Chace, one of the nine men who signed a challenge to play a base ball game published in the Delhi newspaper in 1825.  Edward B. Chace was another of the signers.  They must have been brothers or cousins, and I would like to know which.
There were two basic versions of baseball played in the early 19th C, referred to as the New York game and the Massachusetts game.  The New York game used 4 bases, in a square, as today.  The Massachusetts game used 5 bases, in a square, with the 5th base, which marked the batter's station, in the middle of one of the sides of the square.  I know that several of the other signers of this challenge had roots in Connecticut, and am thinking that this would be a clue that the game that they played was the "Massachusetts game".

GAT

George A. Thompson