NYHIST-L Archives

March 2003

From:
mike engle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 14:56:06 -0500
Hello list,

  I have a question I hope someone can answer.

I was at SUNY Oneonta, and they had the Cooperstown, NY newspaper on
microfilm, and I ran into something I have never seen before.  At the
begining, the microfilm was copywrited by the NYS Historical Society.
Basicly saying that you can't make copies FROM that microfilm and publish
it, without consent from the NYSHS.

  Now my question is this.  I've never seen this copywrite notice on any
other microfilm.  For example. the Sidney, NY historical society has their
newspapers on microfilm, without a copywrite notice.  Does this mean that
the Sidney microfilm is not copywrited by their historical society?

Best Regards
Mike Engle