NYHIST-L Archives

January 2004

From:
Honor Conklin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 2004 08:35:28 -0500
   Since the Goody Garlicke matter had to do with the death of Elizabeth
(Gardiner) Howell, (Mrs. Arthur), many writings on Lion Gardiner
(Elizabeth's father) will mention the trial to varying degrees.  Lion
Gardiner interceded for the Garlickes, her husband being employed by
Gardiner on Gardiner's Island.

Honor

>>> [log in to unmask] 01/16/04 11:05PM >>>
David,

Just because something of historical interest appeared in Newsday or
was
recounted in a lecture does not make it accurate.

Do I dare assume that my book "East Hampton - a town and its People"
was the
source of this particular entry?

One needs to go to repositories of sources and records. Town records,
for
example. They were kept in the first century of colonial life. The
inquirer
should contact the Long Island Collection of the East Hampton Library
(631
324-0222) and ask to be sent a copy from volume of town records
carrying
entry of 27 Feb. 1658.  The statement was made at the trial of Goody
Garlicke whom some thought might be a witch.

After the trial ended, the trial records were taken to Connecticut for
the
court to decide on Goody Garlicke's fate. The Court issued its written
opinion on 20 May. Although  noting that it found no evidence, it
commended
the town for looking into it and encouraged the town to return to its
peaceable ways.

Nancy Hyden Woodward

> From: David Minor <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 15:23:48 -0500
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Burned Over / 1658 Long Island Death
>
> Many thanks to all of you who responded to my firend's query on the
Burned
> Over District. I've forwarded all the responses and we're both
grateful.

> Here's another query in which someone out there might be of help:
>
> " your 27 Feb 1658 states Goody Davis's infant died.....goodman vaile
and
> his  wife refute this, claim Davis gave her child to an Indian woman
> nurse and it  died of starvation......this statement differs from
Orion and
> King's Transcript  of Lecture, and Gerorge DeWan of Newsday.com Long
Island
> Our Story......my  question to you is: what is the real story about
My
> ancestrial grand mother, Mrs  Davis?..someone should look at the
orignal
> document for us who are not from New  York.........thanks Gerald Dee
Salyer"

http://www.canalsnys.org/

> To be put on the mailing list for the weekly TimeMaster radio
scripts
> (WXXI-FM 91.5), as well as a Quote of the Week and a URL of the
Week,
> e-mail me at the address above.
>
> http://home.eznet.net/~dminor
>
> includes NYNY, a series of timelines covering New York City and
State, from