NYHIST-L Archives

July 1998

From:
Hal Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 09:47:57 -0400
Nell Irwin Painter's _Sojourner Truth_, p22 notes that in 1827, slaves
born after 1799 could be held as indentured (still slaves in effect -
whether the census would describe them as such or not I don't know) until
age 28 if male, 25 if female.  Slaves born before 1799 were free
unconditionally.

The footnote cites a secondary source - Carl Nordstrom, "The New York
Slave Code", in _Afro-Americans in New York Life and History 4, no. 1
(January 1980), p19-20.

I thought maybe someone answered this, but couldn't find it if they did.
I know I've seen it elsewhere too, inmore detail, but can't lay hands on
it now.

Hal Morris: [log in to unmask]   --  Editor of:
* H-SHEAR Web pages: http://www.h-net.msu.edu/~shear
* Tales of the Early Republic: http://www.panix.com/~hal
  Web Resources:  Bibliography, Biographical Dict... (work in progress)
* Jacksonian Miscellanies: free email weekly of source exerpts.