NYHIST-L Archives

September 2005

From:
Suzanne Isaksen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Suzanne Isaksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Sep 2005 08:39:21 -0400
I am hoping that members of the New York History List Serv can help me with two projects I have undertaken as Historian for the Town of Montgomery in Orange County.

1)  I have received a grant to purchase equipment for an oral history project.  The original grant application was written by my predecessor and was based on purchashing desktop recorders and transcription machines - all of which were far more expensive than what is on the market today.  When I came before the Town Board for a resolution in support of this grant, they were very interested in the project but asked me to look at purchasing a videocamera as well for this project.  Fortunately, the grant will accommodate such an expense.

I'm interested to hear from anyone who manages/has managed oral history projects - particularly with students - about what kind of equipment you would recommend.  I'd like to spend this money wisely!

2) The Historian for the Village of Montgomery and I are embarking on an Underground Railroad History research project to determine what, if any, role residents of our area played in this very important part of our history.  I am new to this field of research and would appreciate ANY guidance anyone can provide about resources.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Suzanne Isaksen
Historian, Town of Montgomery
Historian, Village of Walden