NYHIST-L Archives

September 2006

NYHIST-L@LISTSERV01P.NYSED.GOV

From:
MacJudge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:55:38 -0400
I think this note may be of particular interest to several of my fellow NYHist-L subscribers. It announces a new web page that reports on the preservation of stone eagles and other WPA-era building ornamental elements from the ex-jail which is to be demolished to make way for the Gateway Center at the Bronx Terminal Market redevelopment project now in progress in the Mott Haven section. Their "reutilization" is among the measures agreed upon to mitigate the adverse historical impact of the building's demolition.

A "Bronx House of Detention eagles: Where headed, landed?" page has been added to the New York Correction History web site.

It can be accessed from the NYCHS web site home page by clicking the Bronx House of Detention eagles icon near the top of the home page.  http://www.correctionhistory.org

The direct URL for the new page is:
http://www.correctionhistory.org/html/chronicl/bronxhouse/ex-bxhdeagles.html

Tom McCarthy