NYHIST-L Archives

November 1999

From:
Michael Cassidy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:50:02 -0500
At 10:42 PM -0700 11/17/99, George Pearson wrote:
>    Hello from a Newbie,     I just found an old journal that  tells me
>our great grandfather went from England to New York in  1855. It states
>that their  "first home was in North  First St., Williams Burgh, N.Y.  I
>worked at my trade in the firm of  Charter Bro. Silver Works, Greenwich
>St., New York, and my wife worked at  Mantilling"      I would like to
>find any  available information about this location, and about the
>employers....   ... pictures, text , etc.    This is my  first venture
>into the New York research area and so would appreciate clues from  the
>old timers in this area.      Thanks,      George

North  First St., Williams Burgh, N.Y. is Williamsburg Brooklyn now. In
1855 it was a separate city from Brooklyn. If you go to a Latter Day Saints
Center [Mormon] yo can order census film for NYS for 1855 and for the US
census in 1860 for Williamsburg [the h was dropped when it was swallowed by
Brooklyn]. You can also get film for Brooklyn/Williamsbugh City directory
and NYC [Manhattan] city directory which will give you more information
about where he lived and his place of work. As for photos that will be hard.

regards